Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chicken Satay


Finally posting my chicken satay recipe!  This is another one of those comfort foods that I didn't grow up cooking in the kitchen.  I associate my satay experiences with Wat Thai in LA, the Thai restaurants in LA, and of course Thailand... specifically Chonburi, Thailand...a coastal region just an hour or two from Bangkok.  There is an epic story (epic in that it is told every time I see my mom's side of the family) of when I visited the summer between 5th and 6th grade.  I went alone one summer and stayed with my relatives in Bangkok and Nakorn Ratchasima...hmm and I think Khao Yai. Either way, I stayed with my aunt in Muang Chon/Chonburi for a week... and I ate a record 40 chicken satay in one sitting at a food stand near her house.  Granted they were 2-bite-sized piece. And, ever since she makes sure she takes me there every time I visit.

Even though we didn't have it at home on a regular basis, this recipe comes from my mom. She knows how I like my chicken satay and I get my need to be efficient from her :)


Marinade (min 2 hrs) & Grill the Chicken:
1 tsp of curry powder
3 tbsp of coconut milk, the thicker portion
1 tbsp of golden mountain soy sauce
2-3 chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise in ~1/4inch pieces

1) In a ziploc bag, mix the curry powder, coconut milk, and golden mountain sauce.
2) Place the sliced chicken breast into the ziploc bag (you can make another batch of marinade if you the chicken doesn't fit in one) and let it marinate for at least 2 hrs. I prefer overnight...you can taste the difference.
3) When ready to grill, soak the wood skewers (which can be found at your local Asian market for pretty cheap $0.99 for 50-10" skewers) in water for about 1/2 an hour or a few minutes.
4) Skewer the chicken and grill em up.  About 3-5 minutes on each side on a medium heat grill.
Check the thickest portion of one of your satay and make sure it is nice and white (not pink).


 

Peanut Sauce:
1 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter
1-2 tbsp of red curry paste (depends on how spicy you want it)
1 cup of coconut milk (can add more if you want the sauce thinner)
about 2 tsp of sugar
big pinch of salt
1/4 of a small lime
1) Combine all ingredients into a medium saucepan on medium heat.
2) Let it simmer on low heat while you grill your satay.  (Don't let it burn)






Cucumber Salad:

2 -4 mini cucumbers, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
2 tbsp of Thai sweet chili sauce
2 tbsp of white vinegar
a few sprigs of fresh cilantro, chopped

 1) In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.


Enjoy! Serve with some toasted bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment