Thursday, July 14, 2011

Grilled Brie & Green Apple Sandwich

I tried a new recipe this week.  Actually, I've tried a few; I've just been a bit consumed. 
Anyways, how I usually start off with a new recipes is how probably everyone else does.  Google :)  I usually look for recipes that have ingredients I like or have and recipes that are quick and easy.  I used to go all out but these days I look for shortcuts.

So for the Grilled Brie & Green Apple Sandwich, this is where I started.  http://mariannika.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/green-apple-brie-sandwiches/
And, I've modified it as I've gone along.  It's my second time making these sandwiches and here is what I've found satisfying:

Grilled Brie & Apple Sandwich with a caramelized onion "chutney?":


Ingredients:
sourdough round
St Andre Brie or Fromage D'affinois
 a green apple (thinly sliced)
olive oil (about 1 tbsp)
 a yellow onion (thinly sliced)
brown sugar (1 tbsp)
balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp)
field greens or arugula

1) Caramelized onion "chutney?" : I put the term chutney in quotes; because I always thought that referred to Indian food.  Anyways, super easy and quite necessary for the sandwich.  It brings another level of texture, slight onion flavor, and acidity.   

a) On medium heat, add the tablespoon of olive oil.
b) Add the onions and sweat down for 5-10 minutes.
c) Add the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and reduce for about 5 min.
d) Remove from heat and set aside to cool


2) Constructing your sandwich: The order I construct my sandwich seems to melt the cheese faster :)
a) lay down some slices of sourdough
b) one side the caramelized onions
c) other side apples then the brie
d) slather butter on the outsides of the sandwich (optional)
e) cook on a pan or as I did on my good 'ole george foreman grill



3) Last step: Throw in a handful of field greens or arugula.


No comments:

Post a Comment