Sunday, July 17, 2011

Quiche isn't really a Quick meal



It's just one of those days where I feel the intense need to cook. Hmm I might need to make some cherry pies too.  Yesterday at the farmer's market, I picked up a tub of frozen tart cherries.  I usually just make my cherry pies from cherries at the supermarket; but I want to see if it makes a difference if I use the tart cherries.

Ok back to the Quiche.  This one is adapted from one of Emeril's recipes.


(http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-essence-of-emeril/three-onion-mushroom-and-ham-quiche-recipe/index.html)  Emeril's recipes are always full fat and flavor.  My only modifications really are some substitutions.  They are kinda sad but on my budget I can't always follow recipes to a T.

I'll divided this recipe in chronological order.

The Savory Pie Crust:


1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp Essence (see link above for recipe. I make a batch of his essence maybe 1-2x a year. It lasts)
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz (1 stick) of cold unsalted butter (cut into smaller chunks)
3-4 tbsp of cold ice water
1) In a large bowl, combine flour, essence, salt, and butter.
2) Since I don't have a stand mixer or food processor, I just use a big whisk and mash the flour butter mixture till it resembles the coarse crumb texture a pie crust should. 
3) Add a tablespoon of cold water at a time and incorporate till it forms a ball.  I usually use about 3 tablespoons of water.
4) Lay out some saran wrap and shape the dough into a flat disk.
5) Refrigerate overnight or a least an hour.

The Filling:

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion 
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup thinly sliced leeks (I don't have four dollars so I used green onions/scallions same thing right?)
6 oz diced ham
8 oz button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
2 tsp of fresh thyme ( I cheated and used dried thyme)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp of salt
a few grinds of fresh black pepper



1) While the pie crust settles in the refrigerator for an hour, start the filling by prepping all the veggies and ham.
2) In a saute pan/wok on medium heat, melt the butter and add the olive oil to the pan
3) Throw in the onions (red, yellow, & green) and cook down for about 8 minutes.
4) Add the ham, mushrooms, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Cook down for about 8 more minutes.
5) When most of the moisture is cooked out remove pan from heat and let everything cool.

Back to the Crust real quick:
1) Take crust out of fridge and roll out
2) Line your pie pan or quiche pan (I don't have one as I only make quiche mb 4x a year)
3) Throw back in the fridge for 30 min.
4) Preheat the oven at 350 F for the next crust step...

I told you quiche isn't quick! lol

The Quiche:


6 eggs
1/2 c of heavy cream
1/4 tsp of salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg ( I use nutmeg from my spice cabinet)
1 1/2 oz grated Gruyere, plus another 1 1/2 oz (I use Parmesan or an Italian blend... I know shameful!)

1) Combine all the above except the cheese and whisk till it's blended well
2) add 1 1/2 oz of the cheese and whisk

Back to the crust ( I swear it's worth all of this work!):
1) Line your pie crust with foil and pie weights (hmmm I don't have these so I just poke my crust with a fork to keep air bubbles from forming)
2) Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until lightly golden on the edges.
3) Remove foil and pie weights and throw it back into the oven for 3 - 5 minutes
4) Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.

                               

Final steps!:
1) In the cooled pie crust, add in half your onion, mushroom, bacon mixture (filling)
2) Add in half of your egg/cream mixture.
3) Add the rest of your filling then egg/cream mixture.
4) Sprinkle the 2nd set of 1 1/2 oz of cheese on top.
5) Back in oven for 35-40 minutes and rotate after 15 to 20 to make sure its cooked evenly!

Serve with mixed greens (or my favorite: arugula) and a balsamic vinaigrette.


No comments:

Post a Comment