Sunday, July 17, 2011

Thai omlet (Kai Jeow) - a favorite comfort food

Kai Jeow is one of my favorite comfort foods that definitely brings me back to the days when my dad would cook up a quick lunch for us.  This is one of those foods that I grew up eating for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  It's kinda like how I grew up always thinking PB & J sandwiches were a breakfast item only.

What inspired me to make this today, came yesterday when my niece (Ba Bao aka Penny) mentioned how she wanted Kai Jeow.  I should have just made it for her at that moment, but I had to get going. Maybe next time! or maybe you can make it yourself now.

Anyways, here's how you make Kai Jeow/Thai omelet. You can add green onions, onion, tomato, and/or ground meat.  This is how I make my Kai Jeow:

Ingredients:
4-5 eggs
Golden Mountain Soy Sauce
Garlic Powder
Sriracha (the red bottle)
Pinch of Salt
1/4-1/2 lb Ground Turkey
Olive oil
Green Onion
Small Onion
Jasmine Rice

Get Cooking:
1) Cook one cup of Jasmine Rice (Rice cookers are life savers!)
2) Get a medium pan or wok on medium heat.
3) Cut up the green onion and onion and set aside.
4) Add a few splashes of Golden Mountain sauce and garlic powder to the ground turkey.
5) Brown the turkey and set aside.
6) Return pan/wok back to heat and add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan (maybe an 1/8th  of inch)
7) In a medium bowl, add the eggs, pinch of salt, a few splashes of Golden Mountain Sauce, and a few squeezes of sriracha sauce.  Beat with a fork and add your green onion and onions.  Continue to beat until mixed well.
8) By now your oil should be at a good temp and cooks a test drip of egg in seconds. 
9) Add the egg mixture to the pan and then spread the browned turkey on top.


10) Cook the one side for a few minutes until the bottom is cooked
11) To flip the omlet, I just divide it into quadrants and flip each part at a time. 
12) When it's all gold brown and yummy, eat it with jasmine rice and as much sriracha sauce as you want :)

No comments:

Post a Comment